Skip to main content

Life Planning Information Website - Education Bureau

Students with Hong Kong residency may browse the website of China Education Exchange (HK) Centre or directly contact the Centre for more information.  Details are as follows:

Tel: 2542 4811

Fax: 2815 9393


WhatsApp: 852-5967 8570, 852-5667 8573

Please note that students holding non-local qualifications may apply for admission to universities/higher institutions in Hong Kong via the Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme.  The admission is administered by individual university/institution independently.  You are advised to contact the institutions which are considered desirable directly for detailed information about entrance requirements.

For further studies in Hong Kong, you are advised to browse the website of “e-Navigator: Multiple Pathways under the New Academic Structure”.  Based on your interest, level of study and orientation, you can make use of this exploration tool to search for programme information across different local institutions and levels including master degrees, degrees, higher diplomas, and other programmes from the Qualifications Register.  Programme details are provided by programme operators.  Hyperlinks to official webpages of programme operators are created for users who wish to grasp more details of individual programme.  You are advised to contact the institutions which are considered desirable directly for detailed information about entrance requirements.

If you are holding non-local qualifications, you are advised to ascertain your non-local qualifications comparable to local qualifications by the Hong Kong Council for Academic Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ). Please browse the website of HKCAAVQ for detailed information.

It is a matter of discretion for individual employers, organisations, or educational institutions to recognise or accept the non-local qualifications of candidates for employment, registration or study purposes.  The Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) is a statutory body established under the HKCAAVQ Ordinance (Chapter 1150). One of HKCAAVQ’s services is to provide a professional assessment service (“the Assessment ”) to individuals possessing educational qualifications awarded by granting body/bodies outside Hong Kong. Each application is assessed independently on the basis of the totality of the applicant’s educational qualifications obtained upon the completion of educational programmes. The assessment is focused on the integrated learning outcomes  of the qualification including those learning outcomes achieved through learning deemed to have a substantial bearing on the qualification under assessment. The outcome of the assessment is a professional opinion on whether the totality of his/her educational qualification(s) meets the standard of a particular qualification in Hong Kong.

To promote co-operation between the Mainland and Hong Kong in education and student exchanges, a Memorandum of Understanding between the Mainland and Hong Kong on Mutual Recognition of Academic Degrees in Higher Education (MoU) was signed between the Ministry of Education and the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in July 2004.  The MoU facilitates the mutual recognition of academic qualifications awarded in both places for the purpose of further studies in recognised Mainland and Hong Kong higher education institutions with powers to award degrees at Bachelor's level or above.  The MoU is the only Memorandum covering mutual recognition of academic degrees in higher education that has been signed by Hong Kong and another place so far.  For more details, please refer to the list of Mainland higher education institutions  recognised by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China

  • Australia
    1. Years 11 to 12 of High School
    2. Foundation Studies
    3. Vocational Education and Training
  • Canada
    1. Attestation for College Studies
    2. Community Colleges/ Diploma Programme in Colleges of Applied Arts & Technology
  • Mainland
    1. Grade 12 (High school in Mainland China)
    2. Foundation Programme (Jinan University, Huaqiao University)
    3. Foundation Course (Hong Kong or Mainland Educational Institution)
  • New Zealand
    1. Foundation Course
    2. Year 12 of High School
    3. Post-secondary programme offered by Institutes of Technology or private universities
  • Singapore 
    1. Junior College
    2. Senior High School
    3. Specialised Independent School
    4. Private School
    5. International School
  • United Kingdom
    1. The General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE 'A' / 'AS' Level) or equivalent qualifications; available in government-funded schools, private boarding schools, private institutes or Institute of Continuing Education) 
    2. Diploma programme mainly available in the Institute of Continuing Education
  • United States
    1. Grade 11 in private schools
    2. High School Exchange Programme (Studying in public school and living with a host family)
    3. Two-year colleges/ Professional Programme or Transfer of Studies in Community Colleges


For any information relating to the available educational programmes in other countries, please submit your enquiry to the related embassies or administrative offices.  
For the application procedures for admission to overseas institutions, please refer to Non-Local Further Studies  in this website. 

  1. For students who return to Hong Kong to continue their studies with overseas qualifications, please check with individual tertiary institutions for the recognition of academic qualifications.
  2. For those who return to work in Hong Kong with overseas academic qualifications, please contact individual organisations directly. If you are interested in applying for government positions, you can directly enquire about the recruitment of individual positions with the relevant recruitment grade/department, or you can browse the webpage of the Civil Service Bureau on academic assessment.

If necessary, please submit an application for academic qualification assessment to the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications.  The enquiry telephone number and website are: 3658 0000 and

If you wish to apply for scholarship for further studies outside Hong Kong, you may:

  1. Refer to Scholarship in this website; or
  2. Contact the Department of Scholarship of Student Finance Office  at 2150 6110. 

Non-local higher and professional education programmes available in Hong Kong are mainly categorised as:

  • Programmes offered by overseas institutions, which have already obtained registration in Hong Kong
  • Exempted programmes

For enquiries relating to the registration of relevant programmes in Hong Kong, please contact:

Non-local Courses Registry (Tel: 2520 0255 / 2520 0559) 

Back to Top